Sunday, June 15, 2008

Esbjörn

I got word today that Esbjörn Svensson died Saturday June 14 in a diving accident.

Aside from being an incredible person and musician, composer, and arranger, leader of the Esbjörn Svensson Trio (est), and award-winning jazz pianist, he played all of the keyboards and did all the string arrangements on the 1999 Spain album "She Haunts My Dreams".

I worked with Esbjörn two other times, on Freddie Wadling's 1999 "En Skiva Till Kaffet" and I had the honor of singing on est's 2003 album "Seven Days Of Falling", on a song co-written by myself and Esbjörn entitled "Love Is Real".

Spain's "She Haunts My Dreams" would not have been the same without Esbjörn's musical insight and expertise and anyone who hears it will agree with me.

I was always struck by his musicality, his sensitivity, professionalism, passion, and sense of innovation. He was also just a really nice guy. I will always have great memories of working with him.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends, and bandmates. It's an unbelievable loss.

Josh

No comments: