Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Josh Haden's Guide To The California 26th State Senate District Special Primary Election, March 24, 2009



Last night my wife Lisa and I rented Gus Van Sant's film entitled Milk.

After it finished, for about fifteen minutes I decided to give up my music career and go into politics.

Where are the politicians today who inspire, who gather the masses under a legitimate common cause and bring them marching en masse into the streets, not just for a day-long CNN photo-op to sell advertising spots? Where are the politicians who aren't already entrenched in politics, who don't already come from a political family or a political history, where are the politicians who are so passionate about their beliefs they grab a soapbox, a megaphone and set up on a street corner, starting from a grass roots effort, until thousands of people rally around them and effect real change, not just the kind of change politicians call change.

Is Obama the closest we can get?

All I've received from the candidates in this latest L.A. election are 13 one-sheet and small pamphlet mailers and two oven mitts.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the oven mitts, but I was expecting a little more.

If the number of mailers I've received are any indication, Curren Price will be the clear winner of this race (I've received eight mailers from him). Robert Cole and Jonathan Friedman (two mailers each, although they did include said oven mitts with one of their mailers) will tie for a distant second.

However, I endorse Saundra Davis, for the mere fact she is endorsed by Congresswoman Diane Watson, and you can't go wrong with Diane Watson, at least not yet. Lots of politicians have been disappointing me lately.

Harvey Milk would never have disappointed me. Rest In Peace, Courageous Man.

For a full list of candidates for the 26th State Senate District Special Primary Election, see my previous post here.

2 comments:

Federico Antin said...

Hello Josh:
In the past, twenty four movies (counting movie theaters and video) was my average weekly mark, today I'm very disappointed by the movies, but, some weeks ago, I'd been at the "Milk" premiere, so, I understand your words, this is a film where real life met the "mass media life", a really good film from my point of view.
Thanks for your positive comment about it.
Best wishes, as always,

Federico (aka euskir)

Michael Gordon said...

We voted for the Republican in the race. : )